Policyholders of Participating Insurance Plans can enjoy the potential surplus arising from the long term operation of the participating fund via a form of non-guaranteed dividend in addition to the guaranteed benefits. Your premiums will usually be allocated into a relevant participating fund and will be invested in a variety of asset classes according to our investment strategy. We will manage the relevant participating fund in a prudent manner and aim to ensure a fair distribution of surplus and risks between policyholders and shareholders, and among different groups of policyholders.
As dividends are mainly affected by the overall performance of the participating business, in order to alleviate the volatility of achieved gains and losses and the future uncertainties, in particular, future investment returns, we may take moderate smoothing measures to achieve relatively more stable dividends and strive to meet policyholders’ reasonable expectation. We will maintain a fair distribution method or sharing ratio, and appropriate grouping to ensure policyholders are treated fairly, and to ensure policyholders’ benefit expectation and rights are protected.
The current dividend projection is not guaranteed. We will review and declare the dividend at least once a year. When determining the dividend, we will consider the overall performance of all relevant policies on factors including but not limited to past experience as well as future prospect of investment returns, claims and surrenders:
- ● Investment return – including the interest income, dividend income, investment outlook and changes to asset values.
- ● Claims – including the costs of providing death benefit as well as other benefits under the product(s).
- ● Surrenders – including policy termination, partial surrenders and the corresponding experience and impact.
If there are any changes in the actual dividends against the illustration or to the projected future dividends, such changes will be reflected in the policy anniversary statement.
The declaration of actual dividends is recommended by the Appointed Actuary and is subject to the approval of the Board (including one or more Independent Non-Executive Director(s)).
For products that are associated with an element of non-guaranteed accumulation interest rate, the company will consider past investment experience as well as future expected return and other related factors when determining this non-guaranteed interest rate. If there are changes from market, expectation or policyholder behavior, the Company may apply reasonable adjustments to the non-guaranteed interest rate.
Our investment philosophy aims at containing volatility and providing long term stable return. Meanwhile, in order to control and diversify risks, maintain adequate liquidity, and achieve higher potential returns for policyholders under an acceptable risk appetite, we will invest in a wide range of asset classes with consideration of the status of assets and liabilities. The target asset mix may also differ between different participating products. We will actively manage the investment portfolio and adjust the asset mix in response to the external market conditions.
Currently, our investments include bonds and other fixed income assets, such as government and corporate bonds and other fixed income instruments, to support the guaranteed liability payment. To enhance the potential performance of the investment portfolio, the company will invest in equity-type assets and other investment instruments such as private funds, mutual funds and direct/indirect investment in properties or commercial institutions. Subject to our investment policy, we may also utilize derivatives to manage risks (including but not limited to currency risk) and enhance returns, or use security lending to improve returns. The investment portfolio will be diversified across different geographic regions and/or industries.
Reporting year: 2022
The following table shows the fulfillment ratio for each of the product series. The fulfillment ratio are taken from policies issued since 2010 and with non-guaranteed annual dividends, terminal dividends or accumulation interests. The information only reflect the Company’s non-guaranteed benefits up to the respective policy anniversary of policies issued and should not be taken as an indicator of future dividends and interests declaration of the products.
Fulfillment ratio calculation for annual dividends
The fulfillment ratio for annual dividends is calculated as the weighted average of aggregate actual accumulated non-guaranteed annual dividends, including actual accumulation interests on dividends and/or cash coupons, against the illustrated amounts at the point of sale for all relevant in force policies in the reporting year.
Fulfillment ratio calculation for terminal dividends
The fulfillment ratio for terminal dividends is calculated as the weighted average of aggregate payout of terminal dividends against the illustrated amounts at the point of sale for all relevant terminated policies in the reporting year. Cash value of terminal bonuses is factored in the calculation.
Fulfillment ratio calculation for accumulation interests
The fulfillment ratio for accumulated interests is calculated as the weighted average of actual interests accumulated on cash coupons against the illustrated amounts at the point of sale for all relevant in force policies in the reporting year.
1) Participating Plans - with Annual Dividend
Please select the product series:
2) Participating Plans - with Terminal Dividend
Please select the product series:
3) Plans with Accumulated Interest
Please select the product series:
Note for fulfillment ratios:
- The fulfillment ratio is the weighted average ratio calculated for all relevant policies under the respective product series, which may not reflect the circumstances of any individual policy.
- Please note that the Fulfillment Ratio only reflects the actual dividends and/or other non-guaranteed benefits of the policies that have been issued during the specified past period, and should not be regarded as the product's future dividends and/or other non-guaranteed benefits. Fulfillment ratios are for reference only and are not intended to be an indicator of future performance.
- If one product has both annual dividend and cash coupon, the fulfillment ratio of annual dividend reflects the annual dividend and accumulation interest on both annual dividend and cash coupon. If one product only has cash coupon, please refer to fulfillment ratio for product series associated with accumulation interest.
- If one product has both annual dividend and terminal dividend, the fulfilment ratio is calculated and illustrated separately for annual dividend and terminal dividend.
- If one product has both cash coupon and terminal dividend, the fulfilment ratio is calculated and illustrated separately for cash coupon and terminal dividend.
- If one product has annual dividend, cash coupon and terminal dividend, the fulfillment ratio of annual dividend reflects the annual dividend and accumulation interest on both annual dividend and cash coupon, and the fulfillment ratio of terminal dividend is calculated and illustrated separately.
- Fulfillment ratios may not be applicable due to one or more of the following reason(s):
i. There is no relevant policy with the respective policy year as of current reporting year.
ii.The amount of accumulated non-guaranteed annual dividends, terminal dividends and accumulation interests at the point of sale up to the respective policy year as of current reporting year is zero for the relevant policies.
iii.For terminal dividend, there are relevant inforce policies but no relevant policies has been terminated in the reporting year.
- Please kindly note policies issued in 2022 will first have annual dividend, terminal dividend and/or accumulation interest credited in 2023 (if any). The fulfillment ratio for these policies therefore will be included in the 2022 disclosure.
Historical Crediting Interest Rate for Universal Life Plans
Crediting Interest Rate Philosophy
If it is an universal life insurance plan, Policyholder will share the surplus from the invested assets of the Company's investment from the declared interest. The Company will ensure a fair sharing of profits among different groups of policyholders and also between policyholders and the Company. The Company will review and determine and declared crediting interest rate at least once a year, the current projection on crediting interest rate are not guaranteed and subject to change with the entire performance of the universal life insurance policies and the factor including but not limited to the past experience and future prospect of investment returns, claims and persistency.
Investment Philosophy, Policy and Strategy
The Company aims to strive for minimizing volatility of the investment return and provides stable return as our investment philosophy. Assets are mainly invested in bonds and other fixed income instruments, such as government and corporate bonds and other fixed income instruments to support the guaranteed financial obligation. To enhance the performance of the investment portfolio, the Company invests in equity-type investments and other investment instruments such as mutual funds and direct/indirect investment in properties or commercial institutions.
The investment portfolio will be diversified across different geographic regions and/or industries. Investment strategy will be subject to change depending on the market conditions and the economic outlook. The Company will declare Crediting Interest Rate and reflect the performance o the actual Crediting Interest Rate in the annual statement.
The following table shows the historical General Crediting Interest Rates for each of the universal life insurance product series which has new policies issued starting from 2011.
The information are intended for reference only and should not be taken as an indicator of future General Crediting Interest Rates of our universal life insurance products.
Prime Universal Life Insurance Plan
Royal Privilege Universal Life Insurance Plan
Royal Privilege Universal Life Insurance Plan 2
Royal Privilege Universal Life Insurance Plan 3
Flexi Saver Plan (Enhanced)
Flexi Saver Plan
1) Some of the above results are shown as "N/A" because in the respective year the products were not yet launched.
2) The historical crediting interest rates are based on weighted average crediting interest rate of these policies in each calendar year.