SmartPlus Refundable Hospital Income Plan
With “SmartPlus Refundable Hospital Income Plan” (the “Plan”), you will receive daily hospital income during hospitalization of the insured, helping you to release financial burden. In addition, the Plan also offers comprehensive additional benefits for designated conditions, giving extra care to you and your family.
Up to 100% premium refund
Regardless of your claim record under the Plan1, you will receive a premium refund as maturity benefit, which is equivalent to 100% of the accumulated premium due and paid, less all indebtedness (if any) upon policy maturity.The Plan shall then terminate.
3 benefit levels to suit your needs
You can choose from 3 different benefit levels2 to cater to your personal needs.
5-year premium payment for 11-year coverage
By paying 5-year premiums, you can enjoy coverage up to 11 years.
Daily hospital income benefit3,4
If the insured is confined in hospital4 due to disability, and such admission is deemed medically necessary as well as reasonable and customary, the Plan will pay daily hospital income benefit according to the number of days of confinement, up to a maximum of 1,000 days per confinement.
In addition, the Plan will provide an extended care allowance3,4per confinement of the insured, and up to a maximum of 2 times per policy year.
Multiple additional hospital income benefits
If the insured is admitted to an intensive care unit, or is confined in hospital due to injury caused by accident, or diagnosed with specific infectious disease, provided that the daily hospital income benefit is payable, the Plan will pay any of the applicable additional hospital income benefits below, subject to specified conditions.
● additional intensive care unit hospital income benefit3,4
● additional accidental hospital income benefit3,4,5
● additional infectious disease hospital income benefit3,4,5,6
Premium waiver benefit for cancer7
While the policy is in force, if the insured is diagnosed by a registered medical practitioner as suffering from cancer for the first time, we will waive the undue premiums of the Plan for 12 months starting from the first policy monthiversary after the date of diagnosis of such cancer. The Plan will remain in force during the premium waiver period. Premium waiver benefit for cancer will be paid once only and this benefit will be terminated thereafter.
If the insured passes away while the policy is in force, a death benefit will be paid to the beneficiary, providing the family with immediate financial support The Plan shall then terminate.
For the details of the benefits, please refer to the “benefit schedule” of the product brochure of the Plan.
If the policy terminates due to surrender before policy maturity date, we will pay a surrender value, which is equivalent to the amount stated in the below table, together with the policy deposit (if applicable), less any unpaid premium (if applicable) and all indebtedness (if applicable):
|The effective date of the policy surrender is||The amount which is equivalent to the following percentage of the accumulated premium due and paid calculated while the policy is in force and until the effective date of the policy surrender|
|Prior to the 2nd policy anniversary||0%|
|From the 2nd policy anniversary and prior to the 3rd policy anniversary||5%|
|From the 3rd policy anniversary and prior to the 4th policy anniversary||10%|
|From the 4th policy anniversary and prior to the 5th policy anniversary||20%|
|From the 5th policy anniversary and prior to the 6th policy anniversary||30%|
|From the 6th policy anniversary and prior to the 7th policy anniversary||50%|
|From the 7th policy anniversary and prior to the 8th policy anniversary||60%|
|From the 8th policy anniversary and prior to the 9th policy anniversary||70%|
|From the 9th policy anniversary and prior to the 10th policy anniversary||80%|
|From the 10th policy anniversary and prior to the policy maturity date||90%|
|policy maturity date||100%|
The application of the Plan is simple and fast as no medical examination is required.
SmartPlus Refundable Hospital Income Plan
|Plan type||Hospital income plan|
|Benefit level and issue age||
|Premium payment term||5 years|
|Benefit term||11 years|
|Premium Payment mode 8||Annual, monthly, annual and premium prepayment9|
- Each insured is allowed to have one SmartPlus Refundable Hospital Income Plan in force only.
- Plan 3 is only available to an employed insured.
- Should the hospital not be located at any of the places stated under “Important Information” item 5 “Limitations” of the product brochure of the Plan, the amount payable of the daily hospital income benefit/additional intensive care unit hospital income benefit/additional accidental hospital income benefit/additional infectious disease hospital income benefit/extended care allowance (if applicable) will be reduced by half. Moreover, the maximum number of days for which daily hospital income benefit is payable shall not exceed 30 days per confinement.
- “Hospital” does not include any establishment or that portion of an establishment which is operated as a convalescent or nursing home, rest home, elderly’s home, or an establishment for rehabilitation of alcoholics or drug addicts (including similar units within hospital). For Confinement in the People’s Republic of China, the hospital that the insured is confined must be either a Tertiary Grade A hospital designated by National Health and Family Planning Commission of the People's Republic of China or a hospital under the list titled “List of Designated Hospitals in China” publicated on the Company’s website from time to time. For the list of designated hospitals located in China, please refer to China Life (Overseas)’s website www.chinalife.com.hk/customerservice/hospitals-in-china.China Life (Overseas) has the right to make any amendments or changes to the list of Designated Hospitals in China from time to time.
- Under the same confinement, the Plan will not pay both additional accidental hospital income benefit and additional infectious disease hospital income benefit at the same time. The Company reserves the final and sole decision as to pay the additional accidental hospital income benefit or additional infectious disease hospital income benefit.
- For additional infectious disease hospital income benefit, the insured has to be diagnosed with an infectious disease listed in Schedule 1 of the Prevention and Control of Disease Ordinance (Cap. 599 of the Laws of Hong Kong) which is applicable at that time and admitted to the intensive care unit of a hospital for consecutive 7 days or above, and has been treated by using life support equipment (except intravenous injection and any monitoring equipment) which is medically necessary.
- The Company will waive the premium of the Plan since the first policy monthiversary after the date of diagnosis of such cancer of the insured, until the first of these happens: (a) the Company has waived 12 months of premium of the Plan based on premium waiver benefit for cancer; or (b) the premium expiry date of the Plan; or (c) the date of death of the insured; or (d) the date of termination of the policy for whatever reason.
- If the required renewal premium is paid by you within the grace period, the policy shall continue to be in force. For details, please refer to the policy provisions issued by China Life (Overseas). If the policy is lapsed or surrendered early, the policy cash value (if any) received by you may be considerably less than the total amount of the premium paid.
- If you choose the annual and premium prepayment option, you can withdraw the unused prepaid premium (including interest, if any) at one time. China Life (Overseas) will charge 2% of the withdrawal amount, at a minimum amount of HKD100. You can withdraw the unused prepaid premium once only. The interest rate of prepaid premium is not guaranteed.
- 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance service is provided by a third party service provider. China Life (Overseas) will not guaranteed the service quality and shall not be liable for any matter in connection with the services. China Life (Overseas) reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions thereof from time to time without prior notice.
This product brochure is for reference only. Please refer to the Policy documents for the complete definitions of the capitalised terms, as well as all the terms and conditions of this product. You are reminded to review all of the relevant product materials provided to you and to seek independent professional advice if necessary.
- The Policy is underwritten by China Life Insurance (Overseas) Company Limited (“China Life (Overseas)” or "us/we/our"). China Life (Overseas) is responsible for the features, underwriting and benefit payments under the Policy. You should fully understand all of the risks involved in this product and consider whether this product is affordable and suitable to you before making your application.
- China Life (Overseas) shall make the final decisions on the underwriting and claims. We shall rely on your submitted information to assess whether to accept or decline your application, and shall refund any Premium paid without interest for declined cases.
- Exclusions - any claims directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the following conditions will not be covered: (1) any illness suffered within ninety (90) days from the Policy Effective Date or the last date of reinstatement of this Policy, whichever is later (not applicable to any claims caused by an Accident); (2) any congenital or pre-existing conditions before the Policy Effective Date or the last date of reinstatement of this Policy, whichever is later (not applicable to Autism); (3) if the Insured is diagnosed as suffering from Prostate Cancer, the Insured is aged over seventy (70) on the date of diagnosis of Prostate Cancer; (4) any illness caused by Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), including Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and/or any mutations, derivations or variations (not applicable to items 55 “AIDS / HIV due to Blood Transfusion” and 56 “Occupationally Acquired AIDS / HIV” under the definition of "Critical Illnesses"); (5) any illness or surgery caused by self-inflicted injuries or suicide, whether sane or not (not applicable for the death benefit); or (6) taking of drugs (except medicine prescribed by a Registered Medical Practitioner), abuse of alcohol or taking of poison.
In addition, the information stated herein is for reference only. Please refer to the General Provisions for the exact terms and conditions and limitations such as incontestability, suicide and fraud etc. or all exclusions.
- Limitation - If the Insured is diagnosed by a registered medical practitioner that suffers from more than one of the illnesses mentioned in the Covered Illnesses Table while the Policy is in force, only one of the illnesses will be paid, whichever is higher.
- Non-Payment of Premium / Automatic Premium Loan - You should pay Premium(s) on time according to the selected Premium payment schedule. If the due Premium remains unpaid upon the expiry of the Grace Period, an Automatic Premium Loan will be taken out against the Policy to settle the unpaid Premium automatically. All Policy Loans are interest-bearing and calculated at a rate (as stated on our corporate website www.chinalife.com.hk) to be declared by us from time to time. Interest accrued shall become a part of the Indebtedness. When the loan balance is equal to or exceeds the guaranteed Cash Value of the basic plan of the Policy, the Policy will be lapsed and you will lose the related insurance coverage and suffer a financial loss. Under these circumstances, the Surrender Value of the Policy will be deducted to repay the outstanding loan balance (including interest), and the remaining value will be refunded to you.
- Dividend and/or Crediting Interest Philosophy - This is a participating and/or providing interest on accumulation insurance plan. Premiums received from the policies will be invested to a variety of assets according to China Life (Overseas)’s investment strategy. The surplus from the invested assets will be shared with Policyholder through declared dividends and/or interest rate on accumulation in accordance with the relevant clause in the benefit provision. China Life (Overseas) will ensure a fair sharing of profits among different groups of policyholders and also between policyholders and China Life (Overseas). China Life (Overseas) will review and determine the dividend and/or interest rate on accumulation at least once a year, the current projection on dividend and/or interest rate on accumulation are not guaranteed and subject to change with the entire performance of the relevant policies and the factor including but not limited to the investment returns, operating expense, claims experience, commission, persistency, past experience and future prospect. In addition, China Life (Overseas) will consider both past and future outlooks of all factors including but not limited to:
Claims – including the costs of providing death benefit as well as other benefits under the product(s).
Investment return – including the interest income, dividend income, outlook of interest rates and any changes in the market value of the product's backing asset.
Expenses – including both direct expenses (e.g. commissions, underwriting, issue and premium collection expenses) and indirect expenses (e.g. general overhead expenses) related to the product.
Persistency – including policy lapse and partial surrender experience.
Note: The dividend or interest rate history is not an indicator of the future performance of this product.
- Investment Philosophy, Policy and Strategy - China Life (Overseas) aims to strive for minimizing volatility of the investment return and provides stable return as our investment philosophy. Assets are mainly invested in bonds and other fixed income instruments, such as government and corporate bonds and other fixed income instruments to support the guaranteed financial obligation. To enhance the performance of the investment portfolio, China Life (Overseas) invests in equity-type investments and other investment instruments such as mutual funds and direct / indirect investment in properties or commercial institutions.
The investment portfolio will be diversified across different geographic regions and/or industries. Investment strategy will be subject to change depending on the market conditions and the economic outlook. China Life (Overseas) will inform Policyholder the relevant changes in dividend and/or interest rate on accumulation and the impact to the policies when there is change in the investment strategy.
China Life (Overseas)'s current investment strategy on participating and/or providing interest on accumulation plans are as follow:
Asset Type Target Asset Mix (%) Bonds and other fixed income instruments 50% to 90% Equity-type investment and other investments 10% to 50%
Please refer to China Life (Overseas) Company’s website www.chinalife.com.hk/products/dividendandinvestment for dividend history, Dividend and/or Crediting Interest Philosophy, Investment Philosophy, Policy and Strategy, as well as the fulfillment ratio of China Life (Overseas).
- Cooling-off Right - You have the right to cancel the Policy within the Cooling-off Period and obtain a refund of any Premiums paid by giving written notice to us provided that you have not made any claims under the Policy. Such notice must be signed by you and submitted to China Life (Overseas) at 22/F, CLI Building, 313 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong within 21 days after the delivery of the Policy or issue of a Notice to you or your representative informing you that the Policy is available, whichever is earlier.
- Terminal Dividend is distributed together with the Death Benefit, or the first Critical Illness Benefit payment, or upon Policy surrender, or Policy maturity, whichever is earlier. If any of the aforementioned occurs during the Policy period, China Life (Overseas) will distribute the Terminal Dividend at the preceding Policy Anniversary.
- The Second Medical Opinion and the NAVIGATOR are provided by third-party supplier(s), MediGuide International LLC, appointed by China Life (Overseas). China Life (Overseas) is not the service provider, and is not liable for the service quality provided. China Life (Overseas) reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions thereof from time to time without prior notice.
- 24-hour Worldwide Emergency Assistance Service is provided by Inter Partner Assistance Hong Kong Limited. The provision of services is subject to the terms and conditions of the Inter Partner Assistance Hong Kong Limited. China Life (Overseas) reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions thereof from time to time without prior notice.
- The Self-Select Critical Illness Benefit, Multiple Cancer Benefit, Critical Illness Benefit, Multiple Critical Illness Benefit and Special Disease Benefit will be paid to the Insured who is still alive. If the Insured is aged below 18, the benefit will be paid to the Policyholder.
|What are the key product risks?|
|Credit risk||This product is a life insurance Policy issued by China Life (Overseas). Any Premium paid will become part of our assets and our financial strength will affect our ability to meet our contractual obligations to you under the Policy. Therefore this product is subject to our credit risk.|
|Early surrender risk:||The savings component of the Plan is subject to risks and possible losses. Should you surrender the Policy early, you may receive an amount considerably less than the total amount of Premiums paid.|
|Exchange rate and Currency risks||Any Policy with foreign currencies involves risks, such as potential changes in political or economic conditions that may substantially affect the price or liquidity of a currency. The fluctuations in exchange rates may also cause financial losses to you during currency conversions. You should consider the potential currency and exchange rate risks before deciding which Policy currency you should take.|
|Inflation risk||The cost of living in the future may be higher than expected due to the effects of inflation. Therefore, your current planned benefits and/or returns may be insufficient to meet your future needs even if we fulfill all of our contractual terms and obligations.|
|Liquidity and Withdrawal risk||You are are obliged to hold the Policy and pay the Premium for the designated period of time. If you terminate the Policy prior to the Policy Maturity Date, you will suffer a financial loss. In case you make partial withdrawals from the Policy, your account value, death benefit and other Policy values will be reduced, and you may need to pay the relevant handling fee or charges (if any).|
|Non-guaranteed Benefit||This Plan consists of non-guaranteed benefits and/or returns. The actual amounts of benefits and/or returns in the future may be different from the benefits and/or returns which project on the product materials. The product materials are for illustrative purposes only.|
|Policy Termination||The Policy will be terminated if (a) the Policy has lapsed or is surrendered; (b) the Policy maturity benefit is paid; (c) the death benefit is paid; (d) the Policy has paid the Multiple Critical Illness Benefit for four (4) times (applicable to Basic Plan) or the Policy has paid the Multiple Critical Illness Benefit for four (4) times and has paid the Multiple Cancer Benefit (if effective) for two (2) times (applicable to SS Plan) ; (e) the due Premium has not been paid within 31 days after the Premium Due Date and the Policy has no remaining guaranteed Cash Value; or (f) the Indebtedness of this Policy is equal to or exceeds the guaranteed Cash Value of this Policy.|
|Premium adjustment and renewal||China Life (Overseas) has the absolute right and discretion to adjust the renewal premium payable under the Policy at the end of each Coverage Period (that is every year). Factors leading to premium adjustment may include but are not limited to the experience in claims, policy surrender, investment return, and expenses incurred by and/or in relation to this product.|
The information and descriptions contained herein are not intended to be complete descriptions of all terms, exclusions and conditions applicable to the products and services, but are provided solely for general informational purposes. For complete details please refer to the actual policy or the relevant product or services agreement.